University Place Presbyterian Church (UPPC) has historic ties to the south Puget Sound area. The church began in 1927 as a small Sunday school that was held in an abandoned tomato shed on Day Island. The church officially organized in 1942 and sought property closer to town. They purchased 2.5 acres of land in University Place. Church members donated funds, supplies, and labor to build the new chapel, which took five years. The church still occupies the same property today.
Over time, the UPPC community grew substantially and needed a more efficient facility. Korsmo recently renovated the church to accommodate a new youth center. The expansion and renovation included creation of the new Sunset Christian Preschool that provides a nursery, classroom space, and a children’s multipurpose room with a stage for performances. Renovations throughout the church also included the addition of a new social hall with a coffee stand, a new lobby and reception area, and a new gymnasium.